I Want to Be a Receptionist in the Magic World CHAPTER 17 Part 2

HARE EMPLOYMENT YEAR 1

CHAPTER 17 Part 2

Translator: Masakibluei

Zozo: “This is it. What is left is Parthen Teaton (7 Colors Cloak)"

Afterward, Zozo-san asks me to cast the magic. Thus I cast a 7 colors cloak magic onto me and Zozo-san. To put it simply, 7 colors cloak is a magic to make a person invisible. A thin film is formed and it covers me and Zozo-san's whole body completely. The thin film will change its color and pattern according to the surrounding environment. As long as you are inside the thin film, no one can see you. It feels like you are being an invisible person. 

This is a magic that I have just recently mastered. When I was a student, I could not do it because it was too difficult. Even Lockman was unable to perform it too. However, the majority of Hare employees are able to use this magic and it is also one of the essential magic that is often required for work. Thus Zozo-san has been coaching me a lot of tricks for magic in advance. Because of her, my magic has improved splendidly.

Somehow, I come to understand why this magic is essential for work. This magic is certainly indispensable when we are doing some covert investigation.

 

Zozo: “Did you make a sound just now?”

 

Zozo-san pulls my arm from the back.

 

Nanari: “A sound?”

Zozo: “There is a parch sound.”


Thus, I stop my footstep and start to look around. I dim the light for a bit and quietly scanning the area around us with my naked eyes. Then suddenly, a small parch sound can be heard coming from the front direction. Currently we are not really deep in the forest. Approximately, we have just walked for about 50 steps from Mariah’s grazing spot. What kind of creature lives here?

I and Zozo-san bend down on the spot and watch in silence to ascertain the source of the noise in the forest where the darkness spreads. Since there isn’t any wind blowing in the forest, there is no sound of rustling plants. At the same time, I focus my eyes toward the pitch darkness place in front of me.

 

<<Gugyaa, Gugyaaa………>>

 

Both I and Zozo-san exchange look at each other. What sound is that? As far as I know, these cries do not belong to an animal. Furthermore, these cries are weird.

There isn’t any slope in this area and the terrain is quite smooth. There is no sign of living creatures and the sunlight does not reach into the forest but there is a weird sound…………I can hear the cries. Up to the present time, this weird sound is the only clue that we have found. As long as we can identify the creature behind the cries, we can go back right away to officially accept the request. Thus, despite the suspend, I cannot bear to leave the place.

Eventually, this matter will be given to the exorcists to settle. However, we have to gather information for the preliminary survey. It’s not the time to feel daunted now.

Working in Hare means that you have to face a lot of dangerous situations like this. For this reason, the clients often ask, “If you are going to do this, why won’t you finish the job?” However, Hare is an intermediary company for the exorcists, as a Hare employee, we are not supposed to solve the problem. On the other hand, the exorcists often say, “If you are going this far to gather the information, then we will do the job.” All of these stories, I heard it from Zozo-san.

In short, working as an intermediary is difficult.

Furthermore, when the exorcists encounter an unexpected mishap or stumble into a danger while there were no risks were found from the preliminary survey, they often come to Hare to complain after they finish the job. When you think it through, it’s actually quite ridiculous. As an exorcist, they should have some awareness that being an exorcist is equivalent as working in constant danger and the working condition is always unpredictable. Therefore, even if we are doing the inspection meticulously, we won’t necessarily be rewarded. In spite of that, we are working by holding our faith in our job. From time to time, some of Hare staff might complaint that they cannot go on like this. However, in the end, they do their best to finish their job for the sake of society, the exorcists, and clients.

Even though our job does not offer glorious merits like the Chivalric Orders, we still carry some pride and we treasure our job very much.

 

Nanari: “Zozo-san, I see a weird light over there……ah, it’s gone.”

Zozo: “Where?”

 

Just a moment ago, I saw a weird light. Deep in the forest, I saw 3 flashes of light float in the middle of darkness.

 

Nanari: “I saw three small peculiar lights. Was it red………or purple? It’s on the right side on that direction.”

Zozo: “Where where?”

 

At the moment, I am about to direct Zozo-san to look up at that right direction when suddenly my body froze in the spot.

 

<<Gugyaa>>

 

A weird creature with three eyes suddenly appears behind us. Under the dim light, at a glance, the creature is about as high as half a tree. There is a little distance between us and that creature.

 

Nanari: “…………”

 

………Wait, wait. Is that thing a demon? This is a demon? Someone please tells me. Is that thing really a demon, or what? I cannot see it clearly from here, so I’m not really sure what is it. Who is that? A demon?

At the moment, no one should be able to see us because we are under the 7 colors cloak spell. However, that 3 eyes keep staring at our direction.

 Zozo-san……I am about to call her, but I’m holding myself because I don’t want that demon to notice us. Fortunately, Zozo-san senses the demon too. She stays still on the spot while holding my arm really tight.

I put my hand around my belt and take out the Goddess stick.

I’m thinking to put off the light ball that we cast beforehand, but in this situation, I cannot do it without being noticed by that creature.

 

Zozo: “ Nanari.”

Nanari: “…………”

Zozo:”That thing might be a demon.”

 

She put her face close to my ear and says those words with frightful voice.

 

Nanari: “Zozo-san, let’s get out from here.”

 

I answer her back with a small voice.

 

Zozo: “You are right. We already gain enough information. But I want to do another memory detection. Let’s pick some leaves on the ground that has been touch by that demon. “

Nanari: “When we get back at Hare, we will be able to see the demon’s appearance more clearly by using memory detection. Is that what you are thinking? “

Zozo: “Yes.”

 

While I admire her thinking process, we have to quickly get out of this place.

 

Nanari: “Zozo-san, I have a teleportation magic circle. Shall we get out by teleport?”

Zozo: “Is that an ancient magic?”

Nanari: “I have added this magic circle into my Goddess stick. “

Zozo: “It’s handy, isn’t it.”

Nanari: “When the magic is activated, anyone else besides the one that the caster does not include to be teleported won’t be able to teleport too. The demon won’t be able to chase after us. “

Zozo: “If this is the case, it will be quick. Puru will go out from the cloak in her small appearance to distract the demon. While the demon is distracted, we can quickly pick up some leaves and go as soon as possible. Puru, can you do it?”

 

Zozo ask her familiar who is sitting on her head.

 

Puru: “OK.”

 

After she said that, Puru jumps to the ground from Zozo-san’s head without making any sound. Fortunately, that creature still hasn’t noticed us.

 

Nanari: “I'm ready”

 

As I lengthen the stick on my hand, I run away from the monster together with Zozo-san. Then we quickly turn our back. At the same time, that demon also runs after us with a strange cry.

The only thing that I can see is those 3 eyes, thus I’m not exactly sure about the distance between us and that demon. However, judging from the cries and the grass that sway around me, I know that the demon is coming closer.

 

Nanari: “Teleportation. “

 

I pull Zozo-san toward me and thrust the Goddess stick to the ground. In this precise moment, I can clearly see the movement of the demon.

This magic will teleport us to a place that I strongly think of in my mind. The town market, under the King island. No, we should go to the back door on the rear side of Hare building. That gate is only accessible for the employee and we have to go there quickly.

 

“Gyagya, Gurururuuru………”

 

The demon is about to jump into the magic circle, but an invisible wall prevents it from coming in. The light shatters at the same time.  Due to the light, we are able to slightly perceive the position of the 3 eyes demon. However, no matter how hard I squint my eyes, I cannot see the demon clearly except for the 3 eyes.

 

Zozo:” Puru, come here.”

 

After confirming that Puru has jumped into the magic circle with plenty of leaves with her, I chant the spell to activate the magic. At the same time, the magic circle begins to shine in golden color and we are wrapped by the golden light.

 

Zozo: “Amazing Nanari! As expected of the 2nd rank in school!”

 

Gush.

 

Why do you mention it. Is this intentional?

Once again, the word ‘second’ stabs my chest.

Zozo-san who is standing next to me excitedly claps her hand.

 

What a sharp knife.

 

Although the other person does not mean any harm, it hurts so much. Even after graduation, I am still being haunted by the word 2nd. Is this the curse of 2nd place?

 

This is because of that annoying bastard…………

 

Zozo: “Thankfully, we are able to formalize the request by today.”

Nanari: “You are right. “

 

Then we leave the forest while being wrapped by the light.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translator note: 

Working in Hare does not seem to be enjoyable. There are a lot of risks that you have to take, and you might not be rewarded for all of your hard work. The exorcists are also a bunch of ungrateful thugs. It sucks to keep dealing with those thugs. No wonder not many people want to join Hare. 


--------
Previous TOC  Next Chapter


If you like our translation, please support us by buying us a cup of coffee or reading our translation at our site.


Comments

  1. Ah the destination... oh well this’ll be fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I remember this part from the manga and MTL. Ohohoho.(Laughs villainess-style.)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the chapter! Working at Hare is a thankless job, but is meaningful nonetheless. I can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment