I Want to Be a Receptionist in the Magic World CHAPTER 16 Part 2

HARE EMPLOYMENT YEAR 1

CHAPTER 16 Part 2


Translator: Masakibluei

According to her story, sometime in the evening, her husband, Gouda Klein went to the east part of the forest to chase after  a livestock that ran away. Mariah and her husband have large numbers of livestocks which they breed for meat. It’s an herbivore animal called Pockel, which has 6 legs. Usually, they always release their livestock on the open space close to the east part of the forest. Around the area, there is a high fence and a barrier with a simple talisman to prevent demon from coming.

For the whole time they had been there, they never saw any sight of demon. They also never found any trace of demon touching the talisman. Therefore, they were quite skeptical about the demon sightings rumors which people had been talking about. Hence, when a Porckel went over the fence and entered the forest, both Mariah and her husband were not anxious about it.

 

Gouda: “I’m going to catch it back.”

Mariah: “Ok, take care dear.”

 

When her husband wanted to go into the forest, she did not stop him, instead, she sent him off with a smile. She thought he would come back soon with the Pockel, but then the sun went down, and even until the time elapsed to the middle of the night, her husband did not come back at all. By this time, she started to feel anxious. At first, she thought to go into the forest by herself to search for her husband. However……the thought that her husband might get into an incident with a demon came into her mind so she couldn’t go because her child is still very small to be left alone.

Actually, Mariah-san herself is capable to use magic for daily necessities, but her skill is not enough to fight against demon. She also asked her neighbors for help but they refused because it’s dangerous. In the end, she decided to go to Hare.

 

Nanari: “Sometime after that, the Pockel came back by itself. Is that right?”

Mariah: “Yes. It came back after my husband went into the forest. Right before the sunset down.”

Zozo: “……It’s a little bit strange, isn’t it.”

 

Sitting by my side, Zozo-san is reading the request form.

 

Zozo: “As you knew, Mariah-san, this forest has demons. However, in the past one or two years, there was no report of demon sightings, let alone some incident related to demons.”

 

Compare to the other parts of the forest, the east part of the forest is considered as the safest. However, you cannot misunderstand that the place is truly safe just by seeing the comparison. The east part of the forest is still a dangerous place.

 

Zozo: “However, there is a similar request like this one.”

Mariah: “There is?”

 

Mariah leans her body forward and listens to Zozo-san attentively. At the same time, her daughter is starting to cry while looking at her mother.

Please don’t cry, little princess. (Nanari)

 

Zozo: “There is a report of an elderly woman went missing in the north part of the forest.”

 

Zozo -san tells Mariah-san while pointing at a request form that is pasted on the Hare’s bulletin board.

Recently, a granny went for a stroll to the lake near the north of the forest. Since then, her whereabouts are still unknown. The person who requested help was her grandson who lived together with her. His grandmother sent him off for work until someplace near the lake, and that was the last time people saw her. From the eyewitnesses who were fishing by the lake, they saw her went on her own but they did not know where she went to or who she was planning to meet. Although there were a couple of exorcists who went to search for her, up until now, she hasn’t been found.

Hence, I ask Zozo-san.

 

Nanari: “Did someone detect any memory left?”

Zozo: “Yes. Moris-san asked an exorcist to do it.”

 

There is one type of magic that can recover a memory that is left on the ground, tree, building, or even objects. The memory of someone standing on the ground, or someone going inside a building can be recovered. Then the memories will be projected into a movie by magic. This magic is a very complicated magic that requires a strong concentration, mental strength, and high imagination. Ultimately, you cannot invoke the magic unless you sharpen all of the senses on your body.

Among the exorcists, there are a few who are highly skilled in this craft. Everyone thought that they would find a clue with this magic. Although there were only a few people who could do the magic, it should be easy to find any missing object or missing person by using this magic.

 

Zozo: “Cases of missing person in the forest continue to appear. This is very suspicious.”

 

Nevertheless, they only found one memory. The only memory that they found was a memory of the granny stumbled on the ground. Other than that, they did not find anything.

 

Zozo: “Arquez, I think its better that we go to inspect the place. Although so far no exorcist is harmed, I still worry about it.”

Arquez: “Eh? Zozo-san is going?”

 

Arquez-san is a male employee who is sitting behind us. His job is copying some documents and doing some clerical jobs. He is also one of the male employees who work in Hare after they retired from the Chivalric Order. Since my first day, he and Zozo-san always take care of me. In addition, he also acts as the Director’s chaperone and goes out to attend official events. He seems like an assistant deputy. (Actually, this position does not exist in Hare).

 

Zozo: “I’m going with Nanari.”

Arquez: “With Hell?”

 

Arquez shifts his gaze from Zozo who is making a proud face to me.

Pitch black hair. Blue eyes that are droopy. If you look at him, he does not seem to have any dominating aura. In fact, he is just like that. He often boldly eating snacks during working hours. However, he never gains any weight.  

Where did all the sugars go to?

His body is tightly all covered up in Hare’s black uniform and I don’t see any excess fat.

 

Arquez: “Hm.”

Nanari: “?”

“It’s just for a short time……That’s should be fine, right?” Zozo says with a smile.

 

When I turn my neck, still feeling confused about what Zozo-san is talking about, Arquez-san hands a piece of paper to me. As I read the paper, my eyes get bigger.

 

Nanari : “Preeliminary……inspection?”

Zozo: “Yes, that’s right.”

 

When we deem a request as dangerous, we have to do a preliminary survey. Before we formally accept the request, we send some staff to gather some info on the topography of the area as well as the danger. Beforehand, I mentioned that male employees mostly go for an outfield job. Most of the outfield jobs are preliminary survey.

It has been half a year since I start to work here.

Up to the present time, I only have been working on menial tasks. Hence, my heart starts to beat faster due to the unexpected development. It seems like a dream that I, as a newcomer in my first year, will be going out for an outfield job.

 

Nanari: “But, Zozo-san……”

 

Formerly, Director Loctis told me that it was too soon for me to do any other job. She said I cannot do any other job until I work for a year in Hare. Hence, I start to feel worried. Without the Director’s permission, I cannot go.

It’s not that I feel dissatisfied with my current job. I’m completely okay doing what I have been doing until I get recognized by the Director. If Arquez disapproves, I will accept it gallantly.

However, Zozo-san is so eager to take me out. Unexpectedly, Arquez gives an approval even without asking for the Director’s permission.

I am surprised by his answer. My eyes get even bigger due to the shock.

 

Nanari: “Is this really okay?”

Zozo: “Actually one month ago, Director told me to take you along if I am going for a preliminary survey.”

Nanari: “Director Loctis said that?”

Zozo: “Although she told you to wait for a year before, you are already adept at doing your current jobs. You are smart and you were also the 2nd best graduate from school.”

 

The word ‘2nd’ that comes out suddenly stabs right on my chest.

Nanari, it’s not the time to be stiffen, I told so to myself.

 

Zozo: “She also worried that your sense will go dull if you never go out. That’s why it’s okay.”

 

Zozo-san who does not notice me holding on my chest, continues to talk.

 

Zozo: “Then, Arquez, can we go now?”

Arquez: “It’s so sudden. But I’m here, so it will be okay. I will tell the Director for you.”

Zozo: “Thanks.”

 

While the conversation progresses smoothly, I feel slightly excited. Then I look at Mariah-san. As I do so, she also turns her gaze at me.

 

Mariah: “Are you planning to go now?”

Nanari: “Yes, because the time is pressing. We need to go now so that we can officially accept the request by today.”

Mariah: “T……Thank you very much!”

 

Mariah looks at me and Zozo-san and bows so many times.

 

Mariah: “Please solve the matter.”

The Little Girl: “Mom…?”

 

The little girl makes a strange look at her mother. She raised her thumb even though she does not understand anything. Naturally, she can’t understand. She is just a two years old little girl. Perhaps she also does not understand that her father has gone missing. She probably thinks that her father just goes out somewhere else to play.

Mariah smiles at her daughter and stands up from her seat. After she bows down one more time, she holds her daughter's hand and leaves the place. As she walks away with her mother, the little girl looks back at us while waving her hand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translator note:
She officially goes for her first outfield job. Somehow I'm suspecting that the granny has turned into a demon. But let's see....


If you like our translation, please support us by buying us a cup of coffee or reading our translation at our site.


Comments

Post a Comment