Hazure Skill ‘Mapping’ wo Te ni Shita Ore wa, Saikyou Party to Tomo ni Dungeon ni Idomu Chapter 39

The Hunt Begins

Translator: Masakibluei

Erin: “Using magic trap is useless. It’s a different story if you pour a huge amount of magical power into the trap. Supposing that you only put a small amount of magical power, it will only gather the monsters around. “

It’s not a good idea, huh……I thought it will work………

Erin: “To begin with, magic trap is inefficient. Trap magic needs to be activated to unleash its power and in order to keep it going for a long time, we need a lot of magical power sources. Moreover, if you compare with the same amount of magical power that is used to maintain it, magic trap attacking power is weaker. That’s why we need to invest a double amount of magical power in order to give the monster some serious damage.”

Note: “Then how much magical power do we need to keep the trap on while not attracting a flock of monsters at the same time? “

Erin: “I’m not really sure about the detail…I don’t even know this floor monster’s stamina to begin with. But since you have <<Stealth>> skill, maybe you can assist me to attack them.”

What shall we do? Should we proceed with the magic trap?

For a moment, I’m reminded of the Frog Beast. Those thick legs seem to capable of jumping really high. I was thinking to spread a lot of magic traps on the ground to catch the frog beast before. I thought it was a good idea but maybe not. If the frog beast gets into the trap, it certainly would be able to escape easily with its powerful jump. By any chance, if the frog beast is able to jump out from the magic traps area and escape, there would be nothing that we can do. However, the only choice that remains for us to procure food supplies is to take a risk like that.

Rather than that, first we will activate the magic trap to constraint the monster’s movement. Then Erin will give her direct attack immediately to finish it off. This plan is more dangerous compared to the first one, but we have no other choice.  It’s still a safer plan than only putting Erin to directly attack the monster with her magic. This is already a compromise plan.

Note: “Erin, can you finish off the frog beast in one shot with your magic spell to prevent attracting the other monsters?”

Erin: “Yeah…Probably……I can do it……”

For now, the plan has already been decided. Essentially, I want to prepare more thoroughly for our battle plan. But since we are in a tight situation, it's inevitable. To some extent, we have to do it without any rehearsal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I have to conceal my presence and my breathing, it becomes really stressful due to the lack of oxygen.  I unconsciously expand my lungs to replenish some oxygen.

Soon, our target, the frog beast will arrive at the magic trap which we had set on the ground.  At the moment, Erin and I are waiting for the frog beast to pass by the passage around the corner.  Our hiding spot is quite a distance from the magic trap. We are hiding at the 3-junctions where is about 50 meters away from the trap. This distance is just right for Erin’s long-range assault specialty. It's also a good distance in case we are unable to finish the monster off. We should still be safe if the monster suddenly charge towards us with long-distance attacks. Erin also said that this distance should be good enough for a one-shot kill.

Note: “It’s almost the time.”

The wall prevents us to see the frog beast from our spot. But it's not a problem because I have the <<Search Enemy>> art. With the map inside my brain, I can compare and locate the monster’s exact position. I’m started to get nervous. My hands are drenching in sweats. If we fail, we will die. Moreover, our chance of failure is not low.

This is a life or death situation.

This is the first time we fight at death’s door.  Will everything go smoothly? Should we just stop and drop our plan? I rub my pants with the palm of my hand to wipe out all of my doubts. I turn my gaze on Erin who should be more nervous than me.

Erin is the one who has to perform the battle plan. Her stress level should be higher than me. Her pupils are wide opened and she is clenching her teeth. Looking at her condition, I want to ask if she is okay, but the time is pressing. The frog beast is just one step away from the trap.



-----Finally, it was trapped.

The trap makes a sharp clicking sound. This is the signal that the monster fell on Erin’s ice magic trap.

Note: “Erin!”

Erin’s twin tails twitch from hearing my call. Erin who was holding magical power until the last minute with her staff is going out from her hiding spot. She tries to strike the monster without giving it any time to retaliate. I’m also going to follow her afterward.

Erin: “<<Light Blade Magic Art>>!”

A fleeting light is formed from the tip of Erin’s magic staff. The light attack is launched toward the frog beast at the speed that cannot be flattered. Meanwhile, the frog beast’s feet are solidly frozen and unable to move. It appears to be unable to avoid the light attack. The light plunges toward the frog beast’s emerald green body. Soon after, the frog beast's body is being cut to pieces by the light blade attack. The light blade is pointed to all kinds of directions which makes the dark blue blood of the frog beast are sprayed against the wall. In front of me, Erin starts to relax after she thinks that the fight is settled. 

Suddenly, a hunch comes to my mind. 

-----No. Its not finished yet. The fight is still far from over yet.

Hostile aura is still creeping out from the body of the frog beast who is on the verge of dying. This monster is still persistent to live.

Note: “<<Withdraw>>, <<Withdraw>>, <<Withdraw>>, <<Withdraw>>, <<Withdraw>>, <<Withdraw>>!!”

I reflexively shouted <<Withdraw>> so many times. Then, I instantly hold Erin’s body in my arm and rush to escape. 

We have to getaway farther, farther than here, I thought so to myself. 

Actually, I don’t know what is going to happen. The consequence is unimaginable. But I know one thing for sure, If I did not escape right away, I would die. I just escape based on pure instinct. When I finally get a grip on the whole situation, there is a sword pointed right in front of my eyes and nose. It was closed by 1 cm to my face. I am mute in amazement as I look at the tip of the sword that is standing still.

This is not a sword. It’s a tongue.

I realize that the frog beast was trying to pierce my face by extending its tongue. Fortunately, I just thought to get away from the monster as far as I can……To think that it was pretty safe from our previous spot. My speculation was completely out of the mark. I let out a dry laugh as I reconsider the whole situation.  I didn’t think that the frog beast has a hidden long-range attack technique.

If we were late to jump away by one second.

If one of my <<Withdraw>> is not activated.

Then I would have been stabbed by this time. 
My thoughts are filled with those horrors.

Suddenly, I hear the breaking sounds of the ice trap and it makes me return to my sense. Apparently, the frog beast with all it’s might, is trying to break away from the trap. The sounds of the breaking ice are the signal.

Note: “Erin, quickly cast another spell!”

I forcefully open the narrow airway to my lungs and squeeze out my voice to scream at Erin. Due to my scream, Erin finally regains her sense back.

Erin: “Aaa…”

While being impatience, Erin fills up her magic into her magic staff. The spell is ready at the same time the frog beast breaks free from the trap. With a sound, the frog beast jumps like a bullet. Erin shuts her eyes while casting a lightning attack.

After violent noises, the frog beast go head to head into the lightning and burst off. Pieces of roasted frog beast meat are spreading in front of my eyes.

Note: “---That was dangerous…”

We look at the scattered bodies on the ground and reaffirm that the frog beast is completely dead. I fall down on the ground out of relief. I turn my eyes on Erin and she is also collapsed on the ground with a complex feeling.


Note: “Let’s move quickly to a place where we can eat.”

Looking at the carcass of the frog beast’s dead body makes my appetite decrease by one degree. Actually, since it was killed with a flashy lightning attack, there is barely any body parts left of the frog beast that can be eaten. However, this was a prey that we risked our own life to hunt. There is no way that we can desert it before our own eyes. We should retrieve all the edible parts before other monsters come and make a commotion. Fortunately, there is no sign of monster coming to our location.

I take out a knife from the items bag and hand it over to Erin. The role for stripping the meat fall on Erin who has the skill to know which body parts of the frog beast that can be eaten. In the meantime, I keep looking out for the movements of the nearby monsters with <<Search Enemy>> skill. After she finishes collecting the meats, she freezes with her ice magic and gives it to me. I obediently accept it and put it into the items bag.

Note: “With only this much, why the heck did we work hard to blow it…”

I blurted out those words unconsciously without any consideration. I did it spontaneously without any hidden meaning. I was just trying to start a conversation. However, the moment I realize my slip of tongue, I have no time to retort it back.

Erin: “I can’t do this anymore…”

As I notice the grief in her voice, I raise my head to see her.

-----She is. Erin is. Crying.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translator note:
An intense chapter. Too bad about the meat. They worked hard for it but they didn't gain as much as their effort. See you next week. 

Previous TOC  Next Chapter


If you like our translation, please support us by buying us a cup of coffee or read our translation only at our site!

Comments

  1. erin really need to redempt herself lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the chapter! Erin spirit finally broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think she has been low since the past couple chapters. The next one will probably change all your perception of her.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the chapter! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on cheer up Erin, Note! This is your time to shine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. when will he learn a little attack power

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the chapter!

    Can't blame Erin, she is a young girl who hasn't experience this kind of pressure, I hope they'll get out of this floor soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So is Note, who is a bit of a Gary Stu though, but Erin has given him way too much shit by now for her behaviour now to be acceptable

      Delete

Post a Comment