I Want to Be a Receptionist in the Magic World CHAPTER 18 Part 3

   HARE EMPLOYMENT YEAR 1

CHAPTER 18 Part 3

Translator: Masakibluei

When Lockman sees that I keep being silent, he asks me once again, “What happened with the demon?” However, I dodge his question by avoiding his gaze.

Should I tell him completely about it?

But we also have confidentiality rules about work information.

 

After he sees that I refuse to say anything, he resigns and stops glaring at me like before. But he seems to be in deep thought. Perhaps because he is a knight, he must be feeling slightly worried about it. It’s inevitable because the knights are pursuing the demons these days.

 “Then, where did you intend to go previously?” said Lockman while knitting his brows. When he said that, he wears his usual sullen facial expression that I am more familiar with.

To knit his brows that much……Didn’t his parents ever tell him that if he makes too much wrinkle on his face, in the future, he soon will turn up with more wrinkles on his face? A person’s habit can affect his condition when he turns old, so you have to be careful. When I think back to the past, I don’t have any recollections of his smiling face. Thus, I can’t possibly tell that to him.

 

Nanari: “I was planning to go to Hare.”

 

Even if we were classmates, he is a Duke’s son.

Even if I declare myself as his rival, he is a Duke’s son.

Even if he is such an annoying person, he is still a Duke’s son.

 

At this particular moment, this is the first time I finally talk to him with honorific words and courtesy.

Marisa warned me before. It’s alright to use casual speech when we were at school but if I meet Lockman outside the school with other nobles too, I must not speak to him with casual tone and manner. Although she said that she won’t mind if I continue to be casual with her, she told me that the nobles’ world is pretty complicated and muddy, therefore she gave me a stern warning.

 

Marisa, I’m really using honorific speech now……This should be fine, right?

 

Lockman: “Ah, I see.”

 

After I spoke to him with honorifics, his eyebrows become more knitted, and right after that, he wears a detestable smile on his face.

What a bastard. He finds this interesting. If he is not a Duke’s son, a person like him who has the best look, best grades, and the most successful………this kind of bastard……

I can’t continue anymore. Nevertheless, these are the howling of a loser dog. I don’t want to continue being miserable anymore, so this time, let’s not bad mouthing him (Once I think calmly, I stop badmouthing).

 

Nanari: “However, for some unknown reason, I ended up here.”

 

When I cast the teleportation magic, I was certain to set my mind on Hare. On the spellbook, it was written that when you cast the teleportation magic, you cannot have any idle thoughts and solely focus on the destination that you want to go with all of your minds. And that was I do. Certainly I wa……

 

“Second place!”

 

Nanari: “…………”

 

I was………

 

“Second place!”

 

Just as……


“Second place!”

 

Nanari: “………What?”

 

I instantly fall down my knees. Both of my dirty hands feel on top of the marble floor while tears are falling from my eyes.

 

It must be because of that.

 

At the very very last moment, Zozo-san suddenly fired the words “second place” that pierced my heart. Subsequently, I was thinking about this bastard due to psychological responses. Those bitter memories of our school years. There aren’t any sweet memories, not even any single tiny drop of it.

What a total failure. I’m so stupid. Even though I was supposed to really concentrate my mind on a single thing, I was distracted just because of that. If it was a true life threatening situation, the consequence would be really grave.

 

Nanari: “I understand the reason.”

“?”

Nanari: “When I cast the teleportation magic, …………I incidentally was thinking of Alves-sama.”

Michael: “Ho………”

 

I stand up back on my feet and turn my face to the Duke. The Duke nods while stroking his beard. He has a quite wonderful beard.

 

Lockman: “…………Is there no other way to say it. Please stop. Father is going to have a weird understanding because of you. I’m sure you were thinking about trivial matters, right. “


Lockman is standing right across me. No, there are two Lockman here, it will be complicated to call him ‘Lockman’. Then I start considering to call him Alves though only in my heart. …………No, as I thought, it’s not a good idea. Somehow, I don’t like it. I don’t want to call his name. Even though I’m okay calling that Santanath by his name, I don’t want to call this guy by his name. Even if I call him by his name only in my heart, I still don’t want to.

 

I cross my arms together and refute Lockman.

Nanari: “It was not a trivial matter. It was a serious matter that I have been thinking about earnestly.”

Lockman: “That’s why I said, don’t you have any other way to say it. You are such an idiot beyond help. “

Nanari: “…………”

 

A man without any sensitivity like an iron plate. I realize that my blue vein has popped on top of my temple. Patience, be patient Nanari. If I retort back to him, then I will be brand as an idiot lowly commoner without manner. I have trespassed into his residence without permission, so I can’t say too much to retort him.

I’m so stupid.

There is still a long way to go for me as a magician and I’m also still a novice in Hare. In addition, I have done something bad toward Zozo-san. Today I have to do a self reflection. Of course, by myself.  


Nanari: “Your grace. Words are not enough to make up for the inconvenience that I caused you. Would you please accept this? This is not a suspicious object.”

 

I take out a piece of yellow paper out of my pocket and hand it over to the Duke.

 

Michael: “Hm? This is an ancient magic circle.”

Nanari: “It’s absolute defense magic. Although it can only be used for a single time, it will create a strong defense wall that won’t be broken by anything. “

Michael: “But, isn’t this magic circle too complicated to draw? You must have spent tremendous effort to make it.”

Nanari: “……………”

 

The Duke says those words immediately once he sees the magic circle. This magic circle is something that I made when I was thinking that I might need it in the future. I have inserted it into my Goddess stick, but I also have grasped the intrinsic sense of the magic circle. 

 

Michael: “My son is brilliant. You might accuse me of being biased as his parent to say this, but he is also good looking. He has tremendous talents in magic. Another good point of him is that he is good at everything. He is very smart.”

 

The Duke is just starting to boast about his own son. For some unknown reason, I am taken with his opening speech and agree with him in compliance. I do not utter any disagreement (because what he said is the truth) and listen to him obediently. However, the main subject of his praises seems to dislike his speech. Lockman stands by the sideway and drinks the fruit wine.

Hohoho. I have found his weakness. He feels embarrassed when his parents sing praises of him. I see so that’s how it is.

 

Michael: “Maybe because I have a son like him. After I meet you personally for a few hours, I start to realize that he must have put a lot of effort to become a genius. I have heard from Alves about a competitive student with a sharp nasty mouth before. However, you are actually just a young lady with good aspirations.”

 

At first, I was grinning because I had found Lockman’s weakness. But the Duke’s words make my eyes widen in shock.

A sore loser student with a sharp nasty mouth.

(Masakibluei Notes: 負けず嫌い has several meanings. In a good way, means competitive, but it can also be translated as sore loser. Sore loser is a person who hates to lose and still missing the big picture)

 

I glare at Lockman immediately. This bastard, what have you been talking about me to your parents. Saying that I’m a sore loser or has a foul nasty mouth……Certainly, that is the truth, but what will his parents think about me? If my own parents think badly of me, I’m fine with it. But if it’s other’s parents, I feel bad. Extremely bad. I feel really uncomfortable. I won’t be able to sleep.

I will keep this in mind. Someday I will pay back the tab. I glare ferociously at Lockman but the other person just feigns ignorance and yawns. Then someone among his followers seems to see the glint on my eyes and shouts at me to get away from Lockman.

 

This playboy.

 

………Hm?

 

Previously, the Duke said, “I heard from Alves about a sore loser student with a sharp nasty mouth.” This is our first meeting and he doesn’t seem to know my name. How does he know that I am that sore loser student with a sharp nasty mouth?

 

Michael: “This magic circle is very valuable. It’s better for you to keep it for yourself.”

 

The Duke strokes his chin and returns the paper back to me.

 

Nanari: “But……”

Michael: “In exchange, can you listen to my one request?”

 

At the moment Lockman has left me alone with the Duke.

 

Nanari: “A request? What is it?”

Michael: “Would you please come and attend the royal ball tonight?”

Nanari: “……EH?”

 

For a moment I thought that I misheard what he was saying so I spontaneously ask him to repeat it again.

Royal Dance party? Come to the Royal Dance Party………?

I can’t understand his intention for asking me to attend the Royal Dance party so I need some time regain my composure.

 

Michael: “There is something that I want to check. Accidentally I get to meet you, so I want to ask for your help.”

 

While ignoring my reaction, the Duke continues to speak. At first, I thought the Duke and Lockman do not resemble each other, but now I want to take back this thought.  Although the resemblance cannot be seen by naked eyes, it certainly can be felt.

 

Nanari: “What is it……that Your Grace want to check?”

Michael: “Although I cannot say it, I want you to act according to what I want you to do.”

 

He said that he wants me to close my eyes and do as he says.

At this moment, I want some courage to reject the Duke’s request. Though I want to do something for him as an apology for the disturbance that I caused, his request for me to trespass into the Royal Dance party is outrageous.

Trespassing into someone’s home? No, I’m really sorry. To begin with, why is this important to him? When I ask for the reason, he refuses to say it.

During my secret conversation with the Duke, all eyes in the room are watching us with suspicion. They keep glancing between the Duke and me. However, the eyes of the young noble girls at the party are not included in it.  The moment Lockman left me alone with the Duke, the young noble girls’ attention also departed from me to follow him. Because of this, for the first time in my life, I feel grateful to Lockman. It makes me feel slightly more comfortable.

Even though I have to quickly leave this place, find Zozo-san and return to Hare as soon as possible……

When the Duke sees my troubled expression, the Duke takes out a white handkerchief and cast a magic on it. The handkerchief floats right in front of my eyes and there are some words written on it by the Duke’s magic. Because the handkerchief is fluttering on the air, I cannot clearly see what is written on it. However, the Duke whispers into my ear that he wants me to go to the place that is written on it.

 

Nanari: “I might be late because of work. Would it be fine? “

Michael: “Late until the bell for the morning star is no problem. Even if you are that late, it’s alright. “

Nanari: “I see.”

 

My work finishes before the bell of the morning star rings. The time when the bell of morning star rings is at the period of time when ordinary household generally start their supper. Because I work day shift, my shift ends right in the evening. Right before dinner time, I go home.

 

Michael: “Shall we call the person that Ojou-san has mentioned before?

Nanari: “E?”

 

As he says that, the Duke snaps his fingers. Right after that, a person falls from the ceiling.

 

Nanari: “Zo, Zozo-san!?”

Zozo: “Seriously, Nanari! I was so worried about you!?”

Nanari: “Zozo-san!”

 

The person who appears from the ceiling is Zozo-san. Lala and Puru also appear together with her. I hug her body and inspect for any injuries while being on the verge of crying. I apologize to her so many times but on the contrary, Zozo-san does not get mad at me. Instead, she says that she feels sorry for me and knocks my head.

Afterward, the Duke sends the two trespassers to the front of the residence. Thus, the two of us head back to Hare.

 

Nanari: “Am I the right person for this? Rather than a young lady that you just met, isn’t it better to ask help from other nobles? “


On the point of our departure, I ask the Duke once again to confirm. The white handkerchief that he gave has been put into my small bag.

 

Duke: “You will be fine. You are the suitable person for this.”

 

Suitable for what?


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translator note: 

Things get more mysterious. 


--------
Previous TOC  Next Chapter


If you like our translation, please support us by buying us a cup of coffee or reading our translation at our site.

Comments

  1. thanks for the chapter.
    the manga has progressed beyond this so its like I'm spoilering myself... but whatever. XD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment