I Want to Be a Receptionist in the Magic World CHAPTER 3 Part 2

UNTIL I BECAME A RECEPTIONIST

CHAPTER 3 Part 2



translator: Masakibluei
 On the cover of the book there is a picture of a rainbow bridge. But it gives off an eerie feeling because there is a strange object drawn on the foreground which looked sinister. It makes me anxious that I don't want to touch the cover. However, since I have to study the book, even if I feel that way, I have to open the book quickly. When I open the page according to the teacher's instruction, I read the title "Six Bloodline Magic."



“The 6 bloodlines magic. You may have heard about it before. The magical power lies in our blood itself. Do you know? As long as your blood is alive, you will be able to use magic unless you lose it. There are 6 types which are explained in the book: fire, wind, water, ice, earth, and lightning. Each of you will have one type that belongs to you.“ As the teacher raises up his hand, small bolts of lightning are flashing from his fingertips.

“Teacher’s type is lightning. As a result, I can only display lightning magic for defense and offense. “

To summarize the teacher’s explanation, the magic type will affect your own magical power and special moves. Up until now, the defense and offense magic that we have been learning so far are sensing the opponent’s movement, creating a sword out of nowhere and throw it to the enemy, or creating a barrier. If you think about it, this type of magic can be learned and be done by anyone.
 
However, there is magic than can only be done according to the attribute of the magic type in your blood. You cannot do another type of magic that is not in your blood, no matter how hard you try to do it. For example, if my magic type is lightning, I cannot use any water offense magic as long as my magic type is lightning.  It's useless to try.

Such a complicated and specific magic, I cannot believe that we are going to learn about it after just half a year of studying in this school. I wonder if I will spend another year just to learn this magic?

 “You still don’t know what is your type, do you?” said the teacher while his fingers are still emitting light.

Yes, we still don’t know our magic type yet.

Parents and adults know how to learn more about the magic but it is not allowed to teach the children. It seems dangerous for children who don’t know how to handle their own power properly yet.

Usually, if you live in a village, you will be taught about the magic when you are 18 years old.  It’s because if you land into an occupation that does not require you to use magic that much, you do not need to learn about the bloodline magic. Even if you don’t learn about it, it will not be a loss. Even if you do not carry or do carry some kind of weapon, it does not matter. The normal defense and offense magic are enough to protect you, I think.

But for people who come here just like us are different. We have the absolute potential of magic and the willingness to learn. There will be a need for more commoners or nobles to become an exorcist. Because there are rampant cases of monsters’ attack.

In my case, I just want to be a receptionist like that Onee-san.

 “Teacher, is water not similar to ice magic?” asked Marisa who is dressed in a luxurious red dress today as well.

She is pretty diligent, and if the thing about Lockmann does not happen I might have a better impression of her. Up until now, I have been sitting next to Lockmann. Because of that everyone has been speaking badly about me. It’s different if I have a feeling for him but I don’t. This situation makes me hate him.

 “They may look similar but they do not belong together. To put it simply, it depends whether the individual is able to do it or not.”

The teacher answers Marisa’s question.
Those two types are not the same.

“One by one, let’s start to find out your magic type.”

The class starts to get noisy again. But the noises are different from before. It is filled with excitement and enthusiasm. I’m also looking forward to it. Especially since I have no clue about my own type of magic.

“First, Santanath, please come forward.”
“Me?”
 “If you sit down at the edge of the front row, then yes you are the first.”

The commoner boy, Santanath stands up from his seat.
 
Certainly, the front seats, especially the right side are what we call the hot seats1. It’s no exaggeration to say that it’s the most hated place to sit down. When I was at my village school, I always sit in the middle row. Even if we did change our seats, I was able to avoid the hot seat.  However, sometimes without any preparation, my teacher said:” let’s start from the middle today.”

“Let’s start”
“Yes!”
 “Spread out your arm and put your hand upward. Then fold your middle finger.”

Santanath faces the teacher in front of the podium.

 “Keep your posture. After that say out loud Sameion!”
“Sa-?”
“Sameion. It means sign”

The teacher pat Santanath’s shoulder to give some encouragement.

 “Sameion (sign)”

As everyone watches, he finally cast a spell. I can hear someone is screaming and I’m also holding my hand unintentionally.

“What is this?”
 
Following the teacher instructions, something strange starts to happen around him. Some powerful wind blow inside the classroom. The textbooks on the desks are flipping through the pages and everyone’s hair is blown away even though the windows are closed tightly. After a while, a small tornado starts to form from Santanath’s hand.

 “Teacher, I…”
 “Santanath’s magic type is wind. As a result, you will study the wind type of offense and defense magic. Hang in there.”
“Yes!”

Santanath’s eyes brighten. Probably due to the fact that he finally gets to know his magic type for the first time or maybe he is fascinated by the wind magic. Personally, I am so agitated to the point that I cannot stop clenching my hand.

“Don’t do it by yourself just because you know how to do it. Even though Santanath was able to do it smoothly, in the past there were accidents where the magic went wild.”

In the respond of teacher’s warning, the boy who sits down next to Santanath quickly withdrew his hands from under the desk. Did he by any chance try to do it?!

“Let’s come forward in order”, the teacher called the next student.

Afterward, following the teacher’s instructions, one by one the students come forward to determine their magic type. Looks like Marisa’s magic type is fire. A passionate red flame is burning from her palm. I think it suits her. But she needs to be careful. I feel like she is about to burn her own dress.

The magic type of Prince Zenon is lightning. The moment he casts the spell, a white flashlight appears and destroys the podium. Instantly it becomes an uproar. Fortunately, no one is injured. The teacher casts a repairing spell and the classroom returns to the previous state.

 
Afterward, that guy (Nanari use ‘aitsu’ which is very rude), who sits next beside me has fire-type magic. When he casts the spell, not only a small flame appears from his palm, but a large dragon-shaped fire appears and crawls on the ceiling. It’s extremely hot. That guy is smiling while looking at us who are being grilled by the fire. I seriously want to punch that guy.

“Alves, please stop it.”

The teacher tells Lockmann to snap his finger immediately. Snapping your finger is the way to stop your magic. The moment you snap your finger, the magic will disappear.

But what a jerk.
How come he is able to cast something huge at first try.
“Kyaa!! Alves-sama magic type is the same as mine, fire! We are a match!”
“Mine too!”

Rather than feeling sad, Marisa and other girls feel happy to have the same type of magic as him. They clasp their hands in happiness. Tch! Lately, what's with that beaming service smile. He acts differently toward me though. In addition, other girls with different magic types are biting their handkerchief in remorse.

Its finally my turn.

“Next is Nanari. Please come forward.”

Right after Lockmann is my turn. It’s nice being called by teacher but my legs feel heavy. So heavy like being tied to a weight. To cast something after that dragon. . . It's not the time to think about competition but I feel lost already.
The magic that I have been learning up until now is not particularly great. Everyone here is equally powerful. But now is the time to show your own potential. 

“Oi Nanari, don’t just stand up. Please come here.”
“…Yes.”

This time the potentials of each individual are being shown.  

 “What’s wrong Nanari? Are you okay?”
“Yes, I am okay.

The teacher called me again since I did not move from my seat. I sigh in my heart and get up to go down the stairs. I pass by Lockmann who is waiting at the stairs until I move. With a small voice that only I can hear Lockmann said, “Are you nervous?”

 “I do-don’t need your concern!" 

I yell at him as I run down the stairs. That bastard. Someday I will make him stop making fun of me!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translator note:
1 what she means by hot seats is the seats where if you sit down on that area you will get picked more often by the teacher.
Merry Christmas everyone! Wishing you happy holiday!

Previous TOC  Next Chapter




If you like our translation, please support us by buying us a coffee



Comments

Post a Comment