I Want to Be a Receptionist in the Magic World CHAPTER 21 Part 1

 HARE EMPLOYMENT YEAR 1

CHAPTER 21 Part 1

Translator: Masakibluei

After being dressed up in a white gown by the Duke’s underlings (3 maids in total), the Duke sends me to the King island by a silver carriage. In the past years, I seldomly come to the King island. Although the fact that I am going there in this kind of situation while wearing a white dress like the main lead makes me feel uneasy, my heart is trembling in excitement. The scenery of the island is beautiful as usual. The view when I saw it while riding on Lala’s back was good too, but looking at the same view now from the window of the carriage is also not bad. However, as soon as the palace is coming into the view, my excitement is suddenly reduced, and I start to feel more anxious. I feel really dejected. It feels like I am doing some sort of punishment. I want to turn, jump out and run off from here right away.

 

Is this how a livestock animal feels when they are being shipped to a slaughter house?

I put my chin on my hand and let out a sigh.

 

Duke: “There won’t be any issue if you go inside to the palace together with me. The guards might inspect your body and your magic type as formalities, but they will let you through immediately. “

 

Looking at the anxious expression that is hanging on my face, the Duke tries to assure me. Afterwards, he gives an order to the coach to stop the carriage. The coach stops the carriage right after we pass the huge gates as the Duke’s command.

 

Aah, it’s really huge…

 

I stuck out my face on the window of the carriage to look out. The white palace where Prince Zenon lives in is really huge. I cannot even see the top of the palace since it is hidden by the clouds. This is the first time I see the palace from such a close distance and it really gives off such a strong impression to me. Thank you, dear palace, because of you, both my mood and my dress become several times lighter. Your pure white outward appearance is not just for a show.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Prince Zenon will attend the ball too. However, since he is the third prince, even if he will be there, I cannot approach him and speak casually with him.

When we arrive at the front of the palace, there are already a lot of people gathering while putting on masks on their face. Some of them are happily chatting with each other to compare their masks.

 

Noble A: “Oh my, you too?”

Noble B: “Tonight, seems to be an exciting night, don’t you think? For the sake of today, I especially ordered it to be custom made.”

Noble A: “I did the same thing. What do you think about my mask? Does it suit me?”

 

Some of the people who are climbing the stairs of the palace also dyed their hair with green or purple color. Perhaps they dyed their hair for today’s masquerade ball. There are all sorts of masks, such as a transparent mask that can be seen through (this mask cannot be called mask because it lost its real purpose as mask), a mask with cat ears, a fluffy mask that seems to be made out of bird feathers, a mask with flowers embroidery, and a mask with only one eye hidden. Each mask is different and it also accentuate the individuality of the person who wears it.

Generally speaking, everyone goes all out with their masks. No, it is not only the mask, it can be said that everyone goes all out to disguise themselves. There are people who use magic to turn their head into bird, pig or other various things. Rather than just wearing a simple mask, you can find people with all sorts of disguise spread out sporadically within the crowd.

Henceforth, there is no one who wants to get close to those people. That’s because they go to far with their disguise. They look way too eerie. When I think that these people are the aristocrats of this kingdom, I start to feel uneasy. I wonder if the future of this kingdom will be alight……

 

Before we go out of the carriage, I use the mirror inside the carriage to check my appearance one more time.


Do I look weird?

 

Long dark brown hair flutter behind my back, a golden butterfly mask that covers my entire face, a white simple dress with few laces, and high heels.

It has been a long time that I see my hair in this color again. Since I found out my magic type, my hair color turned into pale blue, and it has been that way since then. This makes me feel nostalgic.  As I thought before, I still prefer my original dark brown hair.

 

However, there is one thing that I would like to ask the Duke.

 

If I am looking like this, Lockman won’t be able to recognize me. Will he truly speak out his feelings to an unfamiliar girl? Moreover, I heard from the Duke that everyone hides their identity in this masquerade ball. For one thing, behind their masks, everyone is also disguising themselves and dance with strangers. Using this situation, the Duke ask me to approach Lockman, “Can you please ask my son is he has a girl that he likes?”

 

At a glance, the Duke’s action reveals that he is a doting parent.

No, he is a truly over doting parent.

It can’t be helped that he is worried about his son’s love affairs.

 

Honestly, it does not matter for me to help him with this favor. However, if I cannot find Lockman, I won’t even able to ask him the question. Nevertheless, the main problem is, if an unfamiliar girl suddenly approaches him and ask him, “Do you have a girl that you like?”, he will definitely answer it half-heartedly.

 

Well, even if he recognizes me, he still definitely won’t reveal his true feelings to me.

 

My entire face is covered by the mask and my hair color is dark brown at the moment. Unless I take off my mask, no one will recognize me. No matter how many times I think about it, does it have to be me? The result will be the same no matter who does it.

In the meantime, I take a glance at the Duke’s appearance. I’m sorry to say this, but frankly, he just simply putting a mask on his face. Only half of his face is covered by a silver mask. The Duke comes in his original appearance and usual attire, therefore in my opinion, the mask does not help in hiding his identity.

 

What mask is this?

I can see his beard.

Which part of the face does it cover?

What does it hide?

Your Grace, please follow the example of those people who goes all out with their disguise. Let’s befriend those people.

 

While I am thinking about those things, the Duke pulls my hand and lead me out of the carriage.

 

Guard: “I’ve been waiting for you, Duke Lockman.”

 

Because of the guard’s notice, the aristocrats around the area realize about the duke appearance, and come to approach him. As I thought before, the fact that everyone recognizes him immediately with that mask is the legitimate proof that the mask truly does not work as a mask suppose to be.

 

“Michael-sama, has your wife arrived at the palace?”

Duke Lockman: “She is fine. Today I excitedly come by myself.”

“Duke Lockman, what do you think about my mask? Does it suit me? Does it?”

“It looks good on you, Matilda.”

 

 

………Nevertheless,

 

The Duke seems to be adored by the others. Numerous people keep coming to talk to him. Everyone approaches him with the mask on their faces. Even those people who is going all out with their disguise also call out for him. In spite of the disguise, the duke seems to recognize the identity of the people who are coming to greet him and he is able to give an appropriate greeting to each person.

 

Your Grace, you are so amazing.

In my case, I can only see all the human beings here as monsters. 

 

Afterwards, a man next to him start to get curious about me and ask the duke, “And who is this lady? “

Since I don’t know what to answer him, I just keep being silent. However, the Duke interjects and answers him, “She is the daughter of my wife’s relative who is a count.”

Thus, I just nod my head repeatedly in agreement.

The people around us seem to be convinced by the Duke’s reason. One by one, they start to walk toward the palace while still staying close to us. As a matter of fact, it seems that the Duke’s count relative truly has a daughter at the same age as me. The gentlemen or the ladies in front of my repeatedly ask me if I come by myself or whether my parents are doing fine. Being unsure on how to respond them, I can only give a vague answer. However, we manage to deceive them because the Duke answers nearly all the questions that are being thrown at me.

All things considered, what is he talking about? Aren’t these people really slow? You should feel a little bit suspicious. Why do you listen to the Duke so easily? While it is good that everyone is being deceived so easily, the Duke start to look scary for some different reason. I can’t find any analogies to explain it, but the way the people submit themselves to the Duke so easily……Does he use some hypnotism? Perhaps I also have already been hypnotized by him without even knowing it.  

 

I try to cast a spell to discard any hypnotism, but nothing changes. Should I feel relieve or not about this?

 

When I enter the palace, a music that most likely being played by an orchestra group can be heard. The ambience of the masquerade ball is completely different from the graduation party. It makes me realize that I just step into a real ball. It does not mean that the graduation party is inferior to this party, however, I can sense the high-class feeling is overflowing in the air. It makes me feel that I have truly come into a dangerous place. All the people inside the palace are permeated with glamorous and high-class style and manner. Including the people who is standing around me too.

 

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


--------
Previous TOC  Next Chapter


If you like our translation, please support us by buying us a cup of coffee or reading our translation at our site.

Comments

Post a Comment